Thursday, April 18, 2013

THERE ARE AMALEKITES IN EVERY GENERATION…. EVEN IN BOSTON!




The Torah records that as the people of Israel were leaving Egypt, the Amalekites attacked them on the way, cutting down the weak, the stragglers, the famished. This cruelty is to be remembered and we are commanded to oppose the cruel and heartless - the “Amalekites” in every generation.

Monday’s attack of the runners of the Boston Marathon immediately struck a chord.  Whoever did this did not attack the front-runners, those with strong, tested, athletic bodies, those with powerful strides who crossed the finish line first.  Instead the target was the “middle section runners” consisting of runners for charities, first time runners, runners who were a little older, a bit slower, some with physical challenges to overcome.  Cheering them on, their supporters, friends and family, were at the finish line waiting for them. Along with these runners and supporters near the point of explosion, was the VIP section, where first responders and relatives of those killed in the Newtown Massacre were seated.   Seems there are more and more Amalekites these days, waiting to take advantage of the vulnerable.

My mind could barely process the news out of Boston as the events unfolded. Through the afternoon and evening on Monday, April 15, I listened to the radio coverage and switched rapidly between Internet sites for details.  How many of the broadcast “details” were fact and how many rumor, had not been established… but did it really matter?  All of us saw the video clips.  Some “one” or some “thing” had terrorized the city of Boston. The runners and spectators were in the open, vulnerable, unaware and enjoying life, and a beautiful day, with friends and family.

Tuesday brought a heightened sense of concern to cities, governments, and marathon planners all over the world.  It also brought gruesome images and stories. But for me, Tuesday brought a heightened sense of awareness. At 6:30 a.m. I opened the door so I could hear the morning concert of roosters and hundreds of spring birds.  I put out my feeders and watched the finches eat thistle.  These little fellows had, in the course of a few weeks, shed their brown winter feathers and were, once again, “gold” finches. I looked up to the mountain, then walked down to the river, threw some stones, felt the early morning breeze.

And I thought.  I thought about the two blasts and how they blew out eardrums while I listened to birdsong. I thought about flying shrapnel blinding eyes, as I looked out at the brilliant yellow of the finches and the mountain. I thought about their burning flesh, while I felt spring breezes on my skin. I thought about missing arms, and hands never reaching out to hold or touch - while I skipped stones. And while I strolled to the river, I dwelt on the nightmare of so many missing legs – carefully trained legs - that had carried humans so swiftly for so many miles just minutes before. I thought about the hundreds of lives, dreams, and aspirations blown apart by some entity without a conscience, without a soul, incapable of compassion.

What I didn’t do was think about God.  Well, that isn’t completely true.  But I wasn’t “blaming” and I wasn’t looking for a “reason” and I wasn’t asking the age old question, “where was God.” That territory is covered by clergy at the myriad services held after horrific acts of terror.  What I did think about was…. “Did I thank God today for the gifts given to me?”  When Jews say the morning prayer upon rising, “Modeh Ani,” we thank God for restoring us to life. But are we fully aware of all the gifts that come with every moment of life?  Certainly we are stunned by lives cut short, but do we pay full attention to our lives as they are lived?

Judaism teaches that there are always Amalekites, whether domestic or foreign, ready to cut down the weak that cannot defend themselves.  We may not be able to control the threat, but we CAN control how we respond to it.  And therefore, I fervently hope that all of us will work very hard to be thankful for each moment, to be thankful for God-given gifts, and to be thankful that most of humanity is capable of doing the right thing. Above all, today, and every day, take the time to be thankful for those you love and for those who love you.

Modeh (modah) ani lifanekha melekh ḥai v'kayam
sheheḥezarta bi nishmahti b'ḥemlah, rabah emunatekha.

I offer thanks before you, living and eternal King,
for You have mercifully restored my soul within me; Your faithfulness is great.

Shabbat Shalom,

Rabbi Rose Lyn Jacob







No comments:

Post a Comment